PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
Please do not eat, drink (water is fine), use tobacco or recreational drugs, or chew gum for at least 30 minutes before providing your DNA sample.
How to Collect a DNA Sample
Buccal swabbing is convenient because it doesn’t require a medically trained professional. In fact, by following these simple steps, anyone can collect a buccal swab sample for DNA relationship analysis. Here’s how:
1. Verify that the subject’s mouth is empty.
2. Wash your hands with soap and water, or put on a rubber or latex glove.
3. Open the DNA collection kit.
4. Choose a sterile cotton swab (either a buccal swab or cotton swab).
5. You should have two packages of swabs. There are two swabs in each package. Carefully remove the buccal swabs from one package.
6. Avoid touching swab tip with your fingers, gloves or against any surface.
7. If you are using cotton swabs please cut off the end your are not going to use for the DNA collection without touching the cotton tip you will be putting in the mouth.
8. Have the subject open his or her mouth and immediately bring swab tip to inside of cheek.
9. Gently rub and rotate swab along the inside of the cheek for 20-30 seconds, ensuring that the entire swab-tip has made contact with the cheek.
10. Immediately remove swab, being careful not to touch swab tip against teeth, lips, or other surface.
11. Let the swabs air dry for up to one hour.We recommend using a short glass and placing the oral swab cotton side up inside of the glass to allow it to dry. it. Make sure that swabs from different test participants do not at any point come into contact.
12. Repeat until you have used two (2) swabs per cheek for a total of four (4) swabs collected per person.
13. Place swab directly into one collection envelope. Each person MUST have their own envelope. DO NOT combine samples into the collection envelope.
14. Label the tube or envelope with identifying information.
Here is an example of a properly completed collection envelope:
The following information MUST be included:
Your Bio-Gene DNA Case Number – must be on EACH envelope
Name of the person whose DNA sample is in the envelope
Type of test being performed
Suspected Relationship – ONLY list the specific relationship as listed on your order form (for example: paternity, sibling, grandparent, child etc). DO NOT list other possible relationships or information. If multiple possible relationships are listed (for example: possible sibling or cousin; possible sister or aunt; possible father or grandfather, etc.) the samples will be discarded and you will need to recollect.
15. Finally, place all collection envelopes into the provided prepaid mailer (if ordered) or into a larger envelope for shipping (if you do not have a prepaid mailer). Please record any tracking information you may have to verify delivery of your samples. Bio-Gene DNA does not recording tracking numbers on prepaid mailers as we leave that choice to you.
Non-Standard Alternative Samples
IMPORTANT: If you have ordered testing for non-standard samples (anything other than a mouth swab)please make certain it fits into the collection envelope. If you need to trim the sample (such as a hat band or piece of clothing) please do not touch the area to be tested and cut out only the section to be tested. Non-standard samples that are not ready to test will be discarded and a new sample requested. At no time should you ever place a DNA sample into a plastic bag, only a paper envelop to avoid bacteria forming on the sample.