How To Make Your Own DNA Kit (MYOK)
We allow you the option to make your own DNA collection kit when collecting specimens from at home DNA testing. This is a great option if you are doing discreet DNA testing and do not want anything arriving at your home. If any person testing resides outside of the United States, this can save you a fair amount of money on shipping a DNA kit to you by USPS First Class International mail. In a hurry? Save time as you can ship directly to us the same day you order (in most cases), without waiting for the testing kit to arrive. Choose this option on your order form when you select your DNA collection kit test choice. Due to AABB requirements this option is not available for legally admissible testing.
After reviewing your order, during regular business hours, you will be e-mailed specific instructions with your unique Journey Genetic Testing case number. If you are within the U.S.A. you will also receive a prepaid FedEx overnight label to print and return your DNA samples to the lab at our expense. You will notified by email as soon as the lab has received all of the DNA samples. The processing of the samples is conducted in the same time frame as if you used one of our kits – in as little as 1-2 business days for paternity, maternity, sibling, grandparent, avuncular, and twin zygosity tests!
Alternative DNA samples being sent to us for testing must fit into a standard envelope. If necessary, please trim the item to fit (for example a hat band, a piece of clothing with a blood spot, etc.) into a regular envelope while making certain the specific area to be tested is included. If the article is clothing, do not put the entire item in the envelope. You can cut the portion that you believe has the DNA of the person you want tested.
How To Collect DNA Using A Cotton Swab
How To Collect DNA Using An Alternative Specimen
If you have ordered testing for non-standard samples (anything other than a mouth swab) please make certain that the sample is dry, and fits into a standard paper envelope. Do not combine multiple samples in the same envelope unless they are the same. For example, do not put both hair and a toothbrush in the same envelope. If you need to trim the sample (such as a hat band or piece of clothing) please do not touch the area where the DNA would be located, and cut out only the section to be tested. Non-standard samples that are not ready to test will be discarded, and a new sample requested. At no time should you ever place a DNA sample into a plastic bag, only a paper envelope to avoid bacteria forming on the sample.
DO NOT USE PLASTIC WRAP OR A “ZIP LOCK” BAGGIE FOR STORAGE OF YOUR DNA SAMPLE. THIS MAY CAUSE THE SAMPLE TO DEGRADE AND A GENETIC PROFILE NOT BE ABLE TO BE GENERATED. LAB FEES WILL STILL APPLY AS EVERY EFFORT WILL BE MADE TO EXTRACT ENOUGH DNA FOR TESTING.
It is strongly suggested that if you reside outside of the United States and wish to order DNA testing that you use this option as the most cost effective and time efficient method to get the answers you need and deserve.
Some Very Important Reminders
- Please collect a total of FOUR (4) swabs per person testing.
- ONLY list the specific relationship as listed on your order form (for example: paternity, sibling, grandparent, child, etc). DO NOT list other possible relationships or information. If multiple possible relationships are listed (for example: possible sibling or cousin; possible sister or aunt; possible father or grandfather, etc.) the samples will be discarded by the lab and you will need to recollect.
- Please record any tracking information you may have to verify delivery of your samples to the lab. Journey Genetic Testing does not record tracking numbers on prepaid labels if they were included in your order. We leave that responsibility to you.
- You will be notified by email once ALL samples being tested have arrived at the lab. All updates on cases, samples, and results are emailed ONCE per day, no later than 8:00 PM PST, on regular business days.
- Please note that we are unable to process any DNA samples without a Journey Genetic Testing case number. Samples that arrive without a case number will be discarded.
- Please do not send “bristle” or “fuzzy” swabs as your DNA sample. These are not considered standard mouth swabs and a non-standard sample fee will apply per swab sent.
Often Asked Questions About The Make Your Own DNA Kit Option
How Do I Know If I Am Doing The DNA Collection The Right Way?
First, relax. We are sure you will do just fine. We have provided step by step instruction on you how to do a mouth swab collection. To view this instructions just click on DNA Collection.
How Do I Send In Samples That Are Not Mouth Swabs?
Place them in a paper envelope and tape it closed after you have written the information needed on the front of the envelope. Never put a DNA sample in plastic wrap as bacteria can form and corrupt the integrity of the sample.
Do I Have To Use The Person’s Real Name?
Private testing does not require verification of a person’s identity. Whatever name or initials you put on the envelope is how the test results will be written.
Is The MYOK Option As Reliable And Accurate As A DNA Kit?
Yes! It doesn’t matter if you use regular cotton swabs (Q-tip style) or buccal swabs for the DNA collection. Cotton swabs are generally 100% cotton topped where buccal swabs are a blended material, however both collect DNA just fine when our instructions are followed.